Saturday, June 19, 2010

You say Tomato, I say YUM!!!!

In May we planted two heirloom tomato plants and two cherry tomato plants. This morning I picked our fourth harvest already. Nothing like a cherry tomato right off the vine, all warm from the sun and bursting in your mouth with flavor! I've never had a tomato plant live long enough to even produce a tiny green tomato so this is a milestone in my gardening "career".

I was hopeful that growing our own vegetables would inspire the boys to actually want to eat them. Here is a transcript of our conversations over the past few weeks:

DAD: Guys, who wants to help prepare the garden to grow some tomatoes?

CARTER & EREK: We do!

D: Who wants to go to the nursery and pick out tomato plants?

C&E: We do!

D: Who wants to help plant the tomatoes?

C&E: We do!

C&E: Daddy, can we water the tomato plants? (repeat every day for four weeks)

D: Who wants to pick the first red tomatoes?

C: I do!

E: No, ME!

D: There are enough for everyone to pick!

C&E: YAY!

D: Who wants a slice of our very first tomato we have grown as a family?

C&E: Yuk! Not me!!

If only chicken nuggets and ice cream grew on vines...

1 comment:

Carolyn Taylor said...

Well I would be so happy to be there eating those beautiful tomatoes!! they look delicious!